Friday, January 9, 2009

Jam Report: First Thursday at 5th Quarter

Last night was the first 5th Quarter Thursday jam. I think we had a pretty stellar turnout for a completely unknown promoter type (me) and mostly untested venue.

I think at its height, we had about 12 folks there. There were a number of Fandango folks, and quite a few folks I had never met before. The jamming was of pretty high quality, too. I'm very pleased that everyone could make it out.

I'll keep promoting the jam in various venues, online and off, in hopes of keeping the number of participants high. One idea I've had is to ask Jack down at Gryphon to mention the jam to his students. I'll also continue to try and get the jam on all of the various jam lists on the internet.

I didn't keep a song list this time, but I will next week.

---

EDIT: better jam report from my post to fandangojammers:

Last night was the first 5th Quarter Thurday jam! Here is a quick report.

First of all, while I'm typically terrible with names, I am trying to learn at least the names of the regulars. If I screw yours up, please yell at me.

I showed up at 5th quarter at around 6:30 to have dinner and prep 5th quarter's owner/manager, Hassan, as to what all was going down that night. Dan (mando) and daughter showed up just after 7, and together we rearranged the back room to accommodate about fifteen or so folks. Hassan had turned on the heat (!) in the back room, so it was downright toasty.

About the room: I think max jam occupancy will probably be 20 or fewer folks. The room is long but somewhat narrow, carpeted, and low-ceilinged. The acoustics are decent; I was able to hear folks taking their solos all the way across the circle.

Patrick W of www.scbs.org showed up early with his dobro and saw. We chatted a bit about the upcoming Bluegrass on Broadway show ( http://www.scbs.org/events/bob/ ) and the state of bluegrass on the mid-peninsula in general. Other early arrivals included Jerry and Bob/Robert (which one of you is Bob and which Robert? I'm so confused). An excellent mando player also showed up early; his was a new face and I didn't get his name. Mando-rascal Mike joined us, as did George B a bit later. Guitarist-who-was-new-to-me-whose-name-I-should-be-remembering arrived fairly late in the evening with his D-18 and played the fiddle tunes real nice.

All told, I think we had about 12 folks turn out last night, with a max count of about 10 folks jamming simultaneously. There was some good cross-pollination of groups, and introductions being made.

Thanks to Mike for the pitcher of beer!

We wrapped up at about 10:45. Thanks to everyone who helped put the room back in some semblance of its original arrangement.

Some songs I remember being played, in no particular order:

Cherokee Shuffle
Whiskey Before Breakfast
Blackberry Blossom
Rose of Old Kentucky
June Apple
Salt Creek
A Maiden's Prayer
White Freightliner Blues
Turkey in the Straw
Red River Valley
Earl's Breakdown
Themetime
Waterbound
Some singing tune with Gb in it.
Dark Hollow (in Bb)
St Anne's Reel

PS: We need a stand-up bassist and some fiddles! :-D

No comments: