Sunday, April 5, 2009

04/02/2009 RWC/5th Qtr Jam Report

Ah, spring is here. The days are longer, the nights are warmer, something about moonshine. Yeah.

I think the jam has hit critical mass and is just about self-sustaining. Folks are showing up without even really knowing how/where they heard of us. I think this is a good sign -- the jam has had enough impact to permeate into the collective, er, subconscious of the local bluegrass scene.

Or something like that.

In any case, the warmer and longer days mean that the 5th quarter jam is a sunny affair, where we hike up the blinds and let the evening sun keep us company whilst we pick. If we're lucky, we don't have to run the heat, for which the instruments thank us.

I've also noticed a movement away from the 'same old stuff' phenomenon. Yes, of course, we still play a lot of standards, but I've also noticed that folks are making the effort to bring out new (old) material to play at the jam. I think this is the sign of a healthy jam.

Here's the attendance list (best as I can remember) and the jam-setlist. UPDATE: Thx to Patrick for helping with Michael's name.

In attendance:
5 guitar: Linda G, Mark H, Michael S, Chris and a gentleman who gave me his name but was promptly .. lost. I'm sorry. I blame all the fast living in my youth. Michael S was HOT on the flatpicked Martin. I'm glad he came and hope he comes on back again.
3 banjo: Autumn, Robert, Jerry
1 dobro/saw: Patrick
1 mandolin: Dan (and darling daughter)

Some songs played:
Gonna Lay Down My Old Guitar
Dim Lights, Thick Smoke
Mother's Not Dead (She's Only a'Sleeping)
Red River Valley
I Saw the Light
Lonesome Road Blues
Turkey in the Straw
Cripple Creek
Cherokee Shuffle
Blackberry Blossom
Foggy Mtn. Breakdown
Cumberland Gap
My Home Aint in the Hall of Fame
Little Maggie

I'm sure I missed about 30% of songs played. I know that the new gentleman picked a couple of tunes that, like his name, have flown the proverbial coop. Ah well. I'll bring a pen and paper next week.

No comments: