Wednesday, February 11, 2009

5th Quarter Jam FAQ

Here is a draft of the FAQ I'll start distributing at the jam.

---
Quick FAQ:

*Q: Who the heck are you people?

A: We are a group of bluegrass and old-time enthusiasts who regularly get together to jam. Our circle ranges in size from a low of about 6 folks to a high of about 20. We don't have rabies, but we do have banjos. Consider yourselves warned.

*Q: What kind of music do you play?

A: If Bill Monroe, Ralph Stanley or Lester Flatt sang/played it, so do we (but perhaps not quite as well). If the New Lost City Ramblers played it, we'll be likely to take a whack at it. Yes, we have heard the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, but no, we don't sing I'll Fly Away in the key of D. Key of G? No problem.


*Q: Is this a (folk circle / singing circle / blues jam / klezmer jam / Irish seisun / Sea Shanty sing)?

A: Sadly, no. This is a bluegrass and old time music jam. There are certainly some bluesy bluegrass songs out there, and there are certainly some folky old-time songs (Carter family) out there, but by and large we like to play the bluegrass and the old-time. Sorry.


*Q: Can I sing/play my favorite (John Denver / Eric Clapton / SRV / Iron Maiden) tune at this jam?

A: We don't own the building, and we're non-confrontational folks as a rule, so you'll likely be able to get away with it. But have I mentioned that we like playing bluegrass and old time yet? If not, let me go ahead and give up the secret: We like the bluegrass and the old-time. Phew, I'm glad I got that off my chest.


*Q: I've got this totally awesome Fender and three effects pedals and an amp that goes to 11 and...

A: Whoa there, buddy. Acoustic instruments only, please. Thanks.


*Q: I've been playing my instrument for only six (hours/days/weeks/months). Should I come to the jam?
A: Sure! Y'all come on out! But be ready to pick a tune when your turn comes up.


*Q: Pick a tune? What the heck does that mean?

A: It means you should have a couple of bluegrass or old time songs picked out that you'd like to attempt to play. Don't freak out; everyone has to do it. If you're completely new, may I suggest one or more of the following: {Cripple Creek, Sitting On Top of the World, Old Joe Clark, Angelina Baker}

*Q: OK, I think I've picked a good tune, now what do I do?

A: Raise your voice, and tell everyone in the circle: 1) What the name of the tune is, 2) What key it is in, and 3) Anything else we absolutely need to know to swim instead of sink. Describe the chord progressions, if they are nonstandard. Sing or hum the melody once, if people aren't familiar with the song. Once everybody is ready, kick it off!


*Q: Kick it off? Huh?

A: Kicking it off means starting the tune. You can either count into it (one, two, one two three four) or play a lead-in break, or jump straight into the first verse, depending on what is appropriate. Once you're done with the kick off, look to your left - it is your neighbor's tune to take a break.


*Q: Wait, am *I* supposed to take a break?

A: Yep. We will expect you to try, or to indicate to the person leading the song that you're not interested in taking a break. The person leading the song will either call out your name (if they know you), what instrument you're playing (if they don't), nod at you, make eye contact, or any variant of the above. That means you're up! If you don't want it, shake your head, say 'skip me', or tell your neighbor to take it.


*Q: OK, we've gone all the way around. I think the tune is done, but nobody is stopping! Help!

A: Don't panic! Wait till the person who is currently playing is nearing the end of their break, then raise your foot up in the air. This means 'we're done!'. Everyone will get it, and the song will end.


Q: This all seems like a bit much. Can I just come and watch?
A: Absolutely! There is plenty of room for folks to hang out and listen.

No comments: